Nearly two years after introducing the first GPS designed specifically for RVers, Rand McNally launched the first RV GPS app for the iPad.
The RV GPS was shown for the first time at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Rand McNally’s RV GPS for iPad is the first iOS application offered that is specifically designed for RV navigation. The new application, available on the App Store(sm), provides RV class-specific routing (and with a quick toggle, over to car routing) based on Rand McNally’s proprietary road data and navigation, plus thousands of RV parks and campgrounds, RV-friendly locations, RVer tools, and pre-planned trips.
The app also includes dynamic weather, a map overlay feature that helps drivers anticipate conditions such as high wind and precipitation along the route.
Also included is a bonus feature of the app: An e-book version of America’s #1 Road Atlas.
“About 20% of RVers have an iPad, and many of them take it on the road,” said Dave Muscatel, CEO of Rand McNally.
“Our new app lets those travelers access the same premier RV routing, navigation, and content available on our RVND GPS devices, and load it on their tablet.”
The Rand McNally RV GPS is an on-board app that provides safe and easy routing customized for an RV or car. Unlike off-board navigation, the maps load on an iPad, providing access everywhere — even in remote areas where a cellular or Wi-Fi connection is not available. For real time navigation as the vehicle progresses, a GPS signal is required.
The RV GPS app includes:
- Safe and easy routing for 11 types of RV in the U.S. and Canada; also includes car mode for cars towed to the destination and used for excursions, or for everyday use
- Routing based on legal and physical restrictions, such as height, width, weight limits, and propane restrictions, and favors right- or left-hand turns depending on RV class
- Rand McNally proprietary RV-specific road attributes and Rand McNally exclusive highway construction project information
- Warnings for speed limit changes, sharp curves, dirt roads, and other potential hazards
- General and RV-specific points of interest including thousands of RV parks and campgrounds listed by category, RV parking, rest stops, exits, and other locations
- Rand McNally Editor’s Picks, including Best of the Roadadventures, trips, and getaways
- Real-time weather information including current and forecasted information for current location, destination, and anywhere along the route
Choose from 10 different map overlays to display important information for RVers, such as wind speed, current and forecasted precipitation, and weather-based traffic impact.
RV Tools such as RV checklists prepare the user for trip departure, campsite setup, and more. Trails record a “bread crumb” path from the campsite, or a favorite shortcut and Quick Planner calculates time, distance, and cost for trips between major cities.
Fuel logs track fuel purchases, including where purchased, gallons, and total cost; and tools are available to record vehicle maintenance.
Rand McNally also sells an in-vehicle mount for an iPad and an external GPS accessory online at the Rand McNally store.
Rand McNally RV GPS for iPad
Rand McNally is the most trusted source for maps, directions, and travel content.
Rand McNally’s products and services include road travel review site (bestoftheroad), interactive travel referral service (tripology), America’s #1 Road Atlas, TripMaker RVND GPS for RVers, IntelliRoute truck routing software and mobile communication solutions for the transportation industry, and the leading geography-based educational resources for the classroom.
Consumers, businesses, truckers, and educators depend upon Rand McNally to help navigate today’s world.
Address: 9855 Woods Drive Skokie, Illinois 60077
Phone: (800) 333-0136
Best of RVing website: bestoftheroad.com/rv
Best of the Road website: bestoftheroad.com
Tripology website: tripology.com/
Lifetime Maps program website: randmcnally.com/lifetimemaps
I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks.