Jackson Center, Ohio-based Airstream Inc. announced that its popular Airstream Interstate was once again the number one selling Class B motorhome model in the U.S. for the first seven months of 2012, according to Statistical Surveys Inc.
The Airstream Interstate grew its market share in the touring coach segment by 45%, surpassing the reported growth of 27% for Class B vans for the same time period, the company stated in a news release.
Airstream grew its market Airstream Interstate unit sales for the first seven months of 2012 increased nearly 85% over 2011, a year that Airstream also claimed top-selling honors.
The company attributes its continued achievement to a slight uptick in the economy as well as customer demand for the quality and design found in the Interstate’s Mercedes-Benz Sprinter chassis.
“The ongoing momentum and interest in the Interstate has been driven by our premium take on product design,” said Airstream CEO and President Bob Wheeler.
“While we may be most famous for our travel trailers, the same principles of design, quality and innovation make the Interstate stand out from the crowd.
The Airstream Interstate is available in three series—Lounge, Twin, and Extended—and varies in length from 22 feet 9 inches to 24 feet 1 inch.
Specifications common to all three series include:
- Chassis – Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 3500 Series
- Engine – Mercedes-Benz 3.0 liter V-6 turbo diesel, 188 hp/325 lb.-ft. torque
- Wheelbase – 170 inches
- Transmission – 5-speed automatic
- GVWR – 11,030 pounds
- GCWR – 15,250 pounds
- Overall Height including A/C – 9 feet 8 inches
- Overall Width – 6 feet 7.7 inches
- Interior Height – 6 feet 2.25 inches
- Interior Width – 5 feet 10 inches
- Fresh Water Capacity – 32 gallons
- Gray Water Capacity – 27 gallons
- Black Water Capacity – 15 gallons
- LP Gas Tank Capacity – 18.9 gallons
- Fuel Tank Capacity (diesel) – 26.4 gallons
- Furnace – 16,000 BTU
Airstream, maker of the iconic “silver bullet” travel trailer, is the oldest recreational vehicle manufacturer in North America.
Following founder Wally Byam’s credo, “Let’s not make changes, let’s only make improvements” Airstream has remained a timeless classic.
A division of Thor Industries, Airstream is based in Jackson Center, Ohio.
Address: 419 West Pike Street, P.O. Box 629, Jackson Center, OH 45334-0629
Phone: (877) 596-6111
- Airstream Interstate Tops 2011 Class B Sales
- Airstream Introduces Sterling Concept Trailer
- A new trailer that’s old
I saw a peanut stand, heard a rubber band,
I saw a needle that winked its eye.
But I think I will have seen everything
When I see an Airstream fly.
—music and lyrics by Oliver Wallace and Ned Washington, in Dumbo