Talking Points: Practice RV Fire Safety

More than 12,500 recreation vehicle fires are reported annually with 50 percent resulting in total loss.

Arizona: Mechanical Failure Cause of Motorhome Fire That Kills Owner (Source: Phoenix Fire Department)

Arizona: Mechanical Failure Cause of Motorhome Fire That Kills Owner (Source: Phoenix Fire Department)

The number of RV fires expands to more than 20,000 when estimates of unreported fires are included with motorhomes accounting for 80 percent of all fires, according to a Recreational Vehicle Aftermarket Association (RVAA) report.

Arizona: Mechanical Failure Cause of Motorhome Fire That Kills Owner

KPHO-TV reports that a man was trapped and killed in a recreational vehicle fire. He was unable to escape the burning RV parked in front of his home.

The victim’s nephew was seriously burned but managed to escape, said Capt. Scott Walker of the Phoenix Fire Department. He suffered second- and third-degree burns to his upper body.

The nephew said they had been working on the RV outside their home and while moving it out of the driveway, heard a loud boom, which led to the fire, according to Phoenix fire investigators.

“Our first unit was on scene in about three minutes, and when they arrived they had a large motorhome well involved,” Walker said.

“About half the unit was actually fully involved in fire and smoke.”

Walker said it appeared a mechanical failure sparked the fire.

Washington: Refrigerator Sparks Camper Fire

Washington: Refrigerator Sparks Camper Fire (Credit: Joe Smillie/peninsuladailynews.com)

Washington: Refrigerator Sparks Camper Fire (Credit: Joe Smillie/peninsuladailynews.com)

The Peninsula Daily News reports a fire ripped through an unoccupied truck camper and endangered a large garage in Port Angeles.

Clallam County Fire District No. 3 spokesman Patrick Young said the fire began in the camper’s refrigerator but was unsure whether faulty wiring was to blame for the fire.

Crews from the Sequim and Port Angeles fire districts put the fire out in about 10 minutes.

The blaze ripped a hole through the center of the camper near its refrigerator, destroying the structure, Young said. The fire did not affect propane tanks on the camper.

Colorado: Motorhome Fire Burns in Front of Potential Buyer

KDVR-TV reports a motorhome caught fire when the owner started the ignition to show it to a potential buyer. According to the Boulder County Sheriff’s Office, the entire 34-foot motorhome was eventually engulfed in flames.

Investigators said they found nothing suspicious and believe the fire may have started due to rodent nests or already existing damage — the vehicle had not been turned on in over two years.

The RV was considered a total loss, said deputies, but no other property was damaged and no injuries were reported.

Virginia: Electrical Fire Destroys Diesel Pusher

Virginia: Electrical Fire Destroys Diesel Pusher (Credit: Erica Yoon/roanoke.com)

Virginia: Electrical Fire Destroys Diesel Pusher (Credit: Erica Yoon/roanoke.com)

The Roanoke Times reports a Monaco Diplomat Class A motorhome caught fire in the parking lot of the Roanoke Civic Center as families were heading inside to see the Kazim Temple Shrine Circus.

When Roanoke Fire-EMS arrived at the fire the motorhome was fully engulfed in flames. The fire damaged three RVs in the parking lot full of other trucks and circus equipment, but only one RV had severe damage. Two adults and two children were displaced from the fire, according to fire department spokeswoman Tiffany Bradbury. There were no injuries.

Bradbury said the cause of the was ruled as electrical. Damage estimates are approximately $200,000.

California: Cooking Sparks Motorhome Fire in Parking Lot

KTVU-TV reports a motorhome was destroyed in a fire outside of a Walgreens in San Francisco’s Cow Hollow neighborhood.

California: Cooking Sparks Motorhome Fire in Parking Lot (Source: ktvu.com)

California: Cooking Sparks Motorhome Fire in Parking Lot (Source: ktvu.com)

The fire appears to have started while the man was cooking inside the vehicle, according to a fire official. A man who was in the motorhome was able to get out of the burning vehicle on his own.

Crews were able to quickly extinguish the flames, which had engulfed the motorhome.

Be sure to keep combustibles away from the stove. Stay in the area while cooking; food or items such paper towels and curtains may be ignited by the stove.

Remember, Safety First, and Happy RVing!

Worth Pondering…

Speed was high

Weather was hot

Tires were thin

X marks the spot

BURMA SHAVE

This entry was posted in RV Safety and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply