Fires Destroy 4 RVs & Woman Falls From Moving RV

Whether camping or just relaxing in your recreational vehicle, fire safety is essential.

A late model diesel pusher motorhome exploded in flames and was completely destroyed as the blaze backed up commuter traffic. (Credit: mantecabulletin.com)

A late model diesel pusher motorhome exploded in flames and was completely destroyed as the blaze backed up commuter traffic. (Credit: mantecabulletin.com)

It is critical that every member of your party know what to do in a fire or other emergency. If you are one of the millions of RV enthusiasts who love to take to the road and explore the country, ensure your family’s safety while travelling in your RV.

Recent media reports detail four separate fires involving recreational vehicles.

Missouri: Refrigerator Compressor Cause of RV Fire

Republican-times.com reports that an RV was destroyed by a fire which is believed to have been caused by a mechanical problem in the operation of a refrigerator compressor.

A young child is being credited with alerting an adult to a fire that also saw two Trenton Fire Explorers take action to save the life of a cat caught in the blaze.
According to Trenton Firefighter Robert Romesburg, the owner of the camper said he was outside when he was informed by his neighbor that smoke was coming from the camper.

It was later learned that the neighbor had been alerted to the fire by his five-year-old son who saw smoke and fire coming from the camper.

California: Electrical Short Causes Motorhome Fire

Mantecabulletin.com reports that fire completely engulfed a 35-foot-long motor coach on northbound Interstate 5 near Manteca. It was apparently caused by a short in the wiring.

The fire destroyed most of the belongings of the retired Pennsylvania couple traveling up the state.

Flames destroyed a motorhome as it traveled through the north end of Pass Christian, Mississippi. A heater inside the motorhome was running and tipped over. (Credit: wlox.com)

Flames destroyed a motorhome as it traveled through the north end of Pass Christian, Mississippi. A heater inside the motorhome was running and tipped over. (Credit: wlox.com)

The driver told Lathrop-Manteca Fire Chief Gene Neeley that they were driving westbound on the Highway 120 Bypass when they took the transition ramp to northbound I-5. He said that all the electrical went out in the vehicle as they entered the northbound freeway. The retired middle school teacher said he got on the phone and called his emergency road service number as the fire broke out.

Flames had erupted from underneath the dashboard, he said, and they both got out of the vehicle as they came to a stop on the shoulder of the roadway. The couple said they emptied their small fire extinguisher with little affect in putting out the flames. The quick thinking driver ran to the back of the coach and unhitched a Jeep they had in tow.

Utah: Space Heater Causes RV Fire

Sltrib.com reports that a space heater is the cause of a fire in an older model recreational vehicle.

The fast-acting fire fighters of Salt Lake City managed to bring the fire completely under control in six minutes flat.

Salt Lake Fire spokesman Jasen Asay said a woman who lived in the RV off-and-on was not injured by the blaze. She turned on some space heaters Monday night, which investigators believe ignited something combustible in the vehicle.

Investigators estimated the damage at about $2,500. Most of the front of the vehicle was destroyed and the rear suffered heat damage. The fire did not threaten any other vehicles or buildings.

Mississippi: Heater Tips Over Destroying Motorhome

Wlox.com reports that flames ate through a motorhome as it traveled through the north end of Pass Christian. A heater inside the motorhome was running. When it tipped over, it caught some furniture on fire. The fire quickly spread, torching just about everything inside and outside the vehicle.

fire_safetyHarrison County’s fire chief Pat Sullivan said one person was in the motorhome when it was consumed by the fire. No word on his condition.

Minnesota: Woman Falls From Moving RV& Dies

Brainerddispatch.com reports that a 26-year-old woman died after she fell out the door of a moving recreational vehicle in Randall.

Through their investigation, Morrison County deputies learned that as the RV began to move, the passenger, apparently fell against the interior door, causing it to open, and allowing her to fall onto the pavement where she struck her head.

Morrison County Sheriff Michel Wetzel said, “While there was no sign of impairment obvious with the driver, the incident remains under investigation.”

The Morrison County Sheriff’s Office received a call of a medical emergency. Upon arrival deputies rendered emergency medical care. She was transported by ambulance to St. Gabriel’s Hospital, and later to St. Cloud Hospital.

Deputies were advised later that day by St. Cloud Hospital that she had passed away due to her injuries.

Worth Pondering…

Have you put…

Step up

Antenna down

Wife in?

—sign at a Dickson, Tennessee campground

This entry was posted in Road Trips, RV Safety and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply